October 17th, 2009 by xformed
Have something that will bring hte big bucks?
Then you can help.
For the Soldiers Angels VALOur-IT fund raising campaign this year, auctions will be held on eBay via a single seller.
The short brief: You send the info to Holly Aho, she posts them, you package and ship the item as dirrected and get paid for your shipping costs.
The longer and “official” rules to play:
Auction Items Submissions
All auction items will run as a 7 day auction with no buy-it-now options. Auctions will be listed either on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday evening, ensuring a “2 weekend run” during the 7 day period. This is the busiest time at Ebay. With new listings and expiring listings showing at the top of their lists this is the best time to have a new listing, and the next weekend a now expiring listing.
All auction items must be shipped within 5 business days after receiving shipping cost payment. You will be sent shipping cost money either by paypal or check based on your preference.
Things needed to start an auction:
Images should be no larger than 600px by 600px
Image file names should be short and descriptive. IMG_0001.jpg would be wrong. marinecoins.jpg would be better.
Image file names should contain no spaces. marine coins.jpg would be wrong. marinecoins.jpg or marine_coins.jpg would be better.
There is no limit to number of photos you can include
2. Description of item
Suggestions for a good description:
Include measurements if applicable. Height, width, depth, etc. Is it bigger than a breadbox? lol
Include weight if applicable. Is it paper mache or solid gold? Help the person imagine seeing and holding it in person.
Condition of item. Was it last driven over by a drunken tractor driver or is it new in the box?
Rarity. This is more subjective but give an opinion based on your experience. How many of this item have you ever seen?
Include color(s) in your description. Photos are not good for relying on these details. The buyer may have drastically different monitor color settings than you.
Include method you intend to ship the item with. Say you will ship USPS Priority, UPS Ground or whatever you prefer.
Include flat rate shipping cost in description (see below for more details). This information will be in the auction details but it’s good to include right in the description.
3. Shipping cost
Select a shipping method you prefer, be it UPS, USPS, FedEx or whatever.
Find a zip code for the furthest location in the US from your house as you can think of (in lower 48 states). Go to USPS.com, UPS.com or the website for your prefered shipping provider and perform a shipping costs calculator estimate using your address and the zip code you looked up as the shipping location. This estimate will be the shipping cost for the auction.
Lowest possible value of item. If you don’t know, just say that.
5. Your personal information
(this information will not be shared)
6. Method you prefer to receive shipping cost payment from buyer
Check by postal mail
Rules for preparing shipping items
1. All items must be shipped in a box large enough to fit the item as well as shipping materials. This includes any item up for auction, books, small items and even paper items.
2. You must use bubble wrap and/or styrophoam peanuts in packaging your item, even if it is a paper item or a book. No newspaper as shipping material allowed!
3. No boxes with alcohol advertisements or names are allowed for shipping purposes. If this is the only box you have, turn it inside out and tape it back together. Need a box? Large stores like Wal-Mart are happy to give you as many as you want. Visit them late at night while they are stocking and help yourself!
4. Use lots of tape!
5. You will be emailed a “From Soldiers’ Angels” label to print and place on the outside of your box. Please tape it in a visible area, and even tape over the paper so that if the box gets wet the label will be “water-proof”.
Questions? Email Holly Aho at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Note: Holly has been one of the backgorund volunteers who has made lots of Soldier’s Angels things go for years, so you can be confident your item will be taken care of well in the auctions.
Put on your thinking caps on what you have that can help the cause…and do it soon. Oct 26th is coming up fast! (Statr dtae of the fund dive!).
Category: Air Force, Army, Charities, Coast Guard, Jointness, Marines, Military, Military History, Navy, Public Service, Supporting the Troops, Valour-IT | Comments Off on Auctions for 2009 VALOur-IT Campaign!